This week, the 11-3 Chiefs face the 9-5 Colts at Arrowhead Stadium. Since the AFL-NFL merger, Kansas City and Indianapolis have squared off 22 times in regular and postseason play, with the Colts holding a 14-8-0 advantage. The Chiefs are 4-6 in Kansas City against the Colts, so Week 16 will bring another tough matchup.
- Kansas City is tied for first in the NFL with five interception returns for touchdowns, which ties for the second-best mark in franchise history.
- The Chiefs are first in the AFC and fourth in the NFL in total points allowed per game, giving up just 18.2 points per game (255 total points) through Week 15.
- Kansas City has scored 48 total touchdowns in 2013, ranking as the eighth-best single-season total in franchise history.
- The Chiefs have recorded 11 return (punt, kickoff, fumble, interception) touchdowns in 2013, tying the best total in franchise history. Kansas City’s 11 miscellaneous touchdowns are tied for third in NFL history for most miscellaneous touchdowns in a single season. Only two teams in NFL history have ever scored 12 or more miscellaneous touchdowns, the 1998 Seattle Seahawks (13) and the 2010 Arizona Cardinals (12). Kansas City is the only team to record 11 miscellaneous touchdowns, more than one time in franchise history, accomplishing the feat three times (1992, 1999 and 2013).
- Kansas City has 640 punt return yards to rank first in the NFL.
- The Chiefs are averaging 30.0 yards per kickoff return (1,051 yards on 35 kickoff returns) to rank first in the NFL.
- Kansas City has 290.0 sack yards in 2013 to rank second in the AFC and fifth in the NFL.
- The Chiefs defense has recorded 20 INTs through Week 15 to rank tied for first in the AFC and tied for third in the NFL.
- Kansas City has outscored opponents 399 to 255, good for a 144-point scoring differential, which ranks second in the AFC and third in the NFL.
- The Chiefs have converted 48 PATs in 2013, tying for the third-best mark in franchise history.
Chiefs and Colts Connections
- Chiefs QB
- Chiefs FB
- Colts Offensive Coordinator Pep Hamilton spent the summer of 2000 as a summer coaching intern with the Chiefs.
- Colts LB Andy Studebaker was a member of the Chiefs from 2008-12.
- Chiefs WR
- Kansas City Assistant Offensive Line Coach Eugene Chung spent the 1997 season on Indianapolis’ roster as an offensive lineman.
- Chiefs WR
- Kansas City LB
Records to Watch
- QB Alex Smith’s 384 rushing yards are the second-highest single-season total by a quarterback in franchise history. Smith needs three rushing yards to pass Tyler Thigpen’s franchise record of 386 yards set in 2008. Also, with eight pass completions, it would mark just the sixth time that a Chiefs quarterback completed at least 300 passes in a single season. Three quarterbacks have completed 300 or more passes in a season a combined five times – Trent Green (3), Bill Kinney (1) and Elvis Grbac (1).
- With two more touchdowns, the 2013 team would become just the sixth team in franchise history to record 50 or more touchdowns in a season.
- WR Dwayne Bowe's 6,355 receiving yards rank fifth in team history. He needs six more receiving yards to pass WR Carlos Carson (6,360) for fourth place.
- With two more PATs, it would mark the fourth time in team history that the club has converted 50 or more PATS.
- Charles also owns 655 receiving yards in 2013, ranking as the third-best single-season mark for receiving yards by a running back. He needs 18 yards to pass Priest Holmes’ 2002 mark of 672 yards for second and needs 36 yards to pass Priest Holmes single-season record of 690 receiving yards set in 2003.
On this Day
- On December 22, 1962, the one-millionth point was scored in the NBA. Also, on this day, in 1990, Leach Walesa took the oath of office as Poland’s first popularly-elected president and in 2005, astronomers announced the discovery of two more rings, encircling the planet Uranus.
- Diane Sawyer is celebrating her 67th birthday on this day, along with, American Idol winner, Jordan Sparks (24) and former House speaker, Jim Wright (91).
Take a look at the focus points for Week 16 when the Chiefs face the Colts